December 11, 2008

Twins re-sign Nick Punto, Rule 5 draft

Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune just broke the news that Nick Punto has signed a two-year deal to remain with the Twins.

Punto, 31, is coming off of a strong 2008 campaign hitting .284/.344/.382 with 25 XBH's and an OPS+ of 99 in just 338 AB's.

The deal is reportedly worth $8.5 million which is about what would be expected from a two-year deal with Punto, and there is also a club option for $5 million for 2011.

Twins GM Bill Smith had this to say:
“Nick has been an important part of the Twins’ success for the past five years,” General Manager Bill Smith said in the announcement. “He provides great defense up the middle and brings leadership and energy to our lineup.”
And Punto still has a chip on his shoulder from last season, which is great to see players have.
“I feel like we got really close last year,” he said.“I have a sour taste in my mouth from that last game in Chicago. We’re looking forward to next year.”
Punto was my top free agent shortstop other than Rafael Furcal. I also liked Felipe Lopez, who also signed today (with the Diamondbacks), but a hot 43-game stretch isn't enough for me to overtake either Punto or Furcal.

I just hope that this isn't the only move the team makes, even though I feel much better about our options than I usually do, I'd still like to see them acquire a third baseman and a reliever if at all possible.

***

The Twins have selected Right-handed Pitcher Jason Jones with the 14th pick in the Rule 5 draft. He's a 26-year-old starter who will likely be converted into a reliever, but I really don't expect much from him.

I really wish the Twins would have selected Eduardo Morlan instead who was one of my favorite prospects before being dealt in last years Matt Garza-Delmon Young trade. The Brewers selected him two spots later.

There is nothing new otherwise to report. According to Ken Rosenthal of FoxSportsNet.com no longer talking to the Padres about acquiring Jake Peavy, but other than that there is nothing new on the Twins front.

Stay tuned though...

0 comments: