February 6, 2009

Pohlad: "It does (make sense) to me"

La Velle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported that Twins "CEO" Jim Pohlad believes that a "significant move" could still be made between now and the start of the season.

When asked if adding Joe Crede makes sense, he responded:
"It does to me."
He then went on to say that the final say comes from the rest of the Twins' Front Office. That has been something that the Twins Organization has done in the past and something that will continue to happen in the future. I don't see a Hank Steinbrenner and Brian Cashman fiasco going on between Pohlad and Bill Smith.

Many in the Twins blogosphere are against the thought of adding Crede. I cannot say that I agree with them. Nor will I say I disagree with them. Honestly, I really haven't decided on whether I am for or against adding Crede. The reported $5.1 million does seem like a lot considering that he'll likely require incentives which could make the deal probably close to twice that much, but I love his defense and I think that the added power would be nice. At the same time, I think Brendan Harris will be improved from last year and should be a fine third baseman.

I'll leave the decision on whether to add Crede or not up to you. I thought I would just pass this along as I think it's something worth noting when an owner *cough* I mean "CEO" talks about adding a player.

I also thought that it was great to see him address the fact that the payroll will "significantly" increase next year with many players going into arbitration. Hopefully the Twins are able to lock a few of them up between now and then, as well as Joe Mauer...

0 comments: