July 26, 2007

Pat Neshek Interview

Twins Notes

Interview: Pat Neshek
.
Pat Neshek was selected by the Minnesota Twins in the 6th round of the 2002 draft. He attended Butler University where he holds many strikeout records including most strikeouts in a game, season, and career. Pat finished 3rd in the Final Vote for the AL All-Star team. He has his own website called "On the Road with Pat Neshek." On the site he talks about life in the majors, collecting sports cards, and autograph stories. Be sure to check out the site after reading the interview.



Name: Pat Neshek
Age: 26
Height: 6-3
Weight: 205
Bats: Switch
Throws: Right
College: Butler
Draft: 2002 6th round #182 overall by the Minnesota Twins



Josh's Thoughts: Growing up in Minnesota, were the Twins your favorite team? Who was your favorite player(s)?


Pat Neshek: Yep, I also liked the A's. My favorite players were definitely Tony Gwynn #1 and Kirby Puckett.

Josh's Thoughts: You were drafted by the Twins twice, both in 1999 (out of high school) and then again in 2002 (out of Butler). How much contact with the Twins did you have before you were drafted both times? Was it hard to turn them down?


Pat Neshek: Both times I was really surprised they picked me. I had a lot of other teams hound me a lot harder than the Twins did, especially in
college. I only signed a questionaire with the Twins out of high school, that's my only contact. In college I met with Scout Billy Milos and talked to him for about an hour and also a couple times on the phone.

Josh's Thoughts: Who has helped you the most in your career (on and/or off the field)?
Pat Neshek: My parents and Butler coach Steve Farley, he scared the crap ouot of me some days but he really taught me how to pitch and throw my slider.

Josh's Thoughts: How did you develope such an unorthodox style of delivery? Have you always thrown like that or did you learn to throw like that?
Pat Neshek: High School injury, I came back throwing from the side since I played shortstop all the time when I was hurt.

Josh's Thoughts: What has been the most difficult part of pro baseball?


Pat Neshek: Dealing with the failure and doing the same exact thing for half a year... it really sucks sometimes.

Josh's Thoughts: If you weren't playing baseball, what other profession would you want to be?


Pat Neshek: If we weren't going by paychecks, I wouldn't mind being a garbage man, lawn mower guy, planner or financial type guy. My major in college is finance so I'm good at that now I understand how the business goes. I wouldn't mind doing anything easy and outside.
Josh's Thoughts: What do you like to do in your free time?
Pat Neshek: Website, collect cards, autographs, play with my dogs, go shopping with my wife, beat her at Nintendo games. Just anything a nerdy guy would do, I do.

Josh's Thoughts: What is your favorite style(s) of music? Favorite Artist(s)/Group(s)?


Pat Neshek: Hard rock, Metal, Metalcore are my favorite styles. I like Chimaira, Lamb of god and Goldfinger probably the most.

Josh's Thoughts: What is your favorite movie(s)? Favorite Actor(s)/Actress?


Pat Neshek: The Pianist and The Count Monte Cristo. I don't have a favorite actor or actress.

Josh's Toughts: What has been your favorite stadium to play at in the Majors? Minors?
Pat Neshek: Metrodome and probably Vero Beach, because of my personal history with the place.

Josh's Thoughts: What is your greatest baseball moment?


Pat Neshek: MLB debut. Can't beat that.

Josh's Thoughts: Your website is a big success, where did you get the idea of starting it? How long have you been running it?


Pat Neshek: I started it in 2004. I wanted to get in touch with fans and share autograph stories.

Josh's Thoughts: What is your repertoire of pitches? Which would you call your "strikeout pitch?"


Pat Neshek: Fastball, Slider, Change-up. My Slider gets a lot of strikeouts.

Josh's Thoughts: What advice would you give a young baseball player that hopes to make it into pro baseball someday?


Pat Neshek: It's a long road and it doesn't happen over night. If you always believe and really believe deep down in your darkest moments of life you know things like college, getting dumped, not succeeding, failure that is when you get tested and can shy away from what you really want. If you still want it then, then that is pretty much the battle. All it takes from there is being prepared, lifting, throwing, getting better, knowing how the system works.

Josh's Thoughts: Thank you for taking time to answer some questions. I wish you great luck not only for the rest of this season, but throughout your career.

0 comments: