October 6, 2007

Twins make a couple roster moves

On Friday, the Twins outrighted outfielders Lew Ford and Josh Rabe along with infielder Tommy Watkins to AAA Rochester. The move "endangers" the Twins of losing all 3 to free agency if they decline. I say "endangers" because I really don't think this move will really effect the team all tha much.

Ford has been a very inconsistant player off the bench after his promising 2004 season in which he hit .299/.381/.446 with 15 home runs and 72 RBI's in 569 AB's. He followed that up hitting .250 with just 14 home runs and 72 RBI's over the next 3 years in which he had 872 AB's. He also had numerous "mishaps" in the outfield including a misplay that allowed 260 lbs. Prince Fielder to score on an inside-the-park home run in a June day at the Metrodome. Ron Gardenhire continued to use him in the outfield because he was fairly quick and agile, but he soon became a liability and was then lost on the bench.

Josh Rabe spent all but 14 games on the DL with a torn labrum in his shoulder this season. I think that Josh Rabe offers more than Lew Ford, but his injury definitely makes the Twins concerned about his future. I personally believe that he'll sign a minor league contract to stay with the Twins and could compete to make the Twins roster out of Spring Training in '08.

Tommy Watkins should also be back with the Twins. I really like T-Dub and I personally hope that he can make the Twins next spring and stay with us the entire season, he really deserves it. He's been with the Twins since he was 17 years old (he's 27 now) and he finally got his first taste of the Major Leagues this season before his season came to an end just a couple weeks after he was promoted. I really hope he stays with the Twins and can get another chance next season.

Also, on Thursday the San Diego Padres claimed Luis Rodriguez off of waivers from the Twins. Rodriguez appeared in 68 games with the Twins this season batting a meger .216 with just 2 home runs and 12 RBI's. I think that Luis would've been a better option at 3rd then Nick Punto this season as I think "L-Rod" has a solid glove and a better bat then him.

I really think that this is a positive note heading into the off-season. These guys were liked by a lot of fans (maybe not so much with L-Rod), but all have very limited ceilings as far as their potential goes and I think that new GM Bill Smith just did the best thing that we could do for them. I really like the moves he made yesterday and I am really optimistic about this off-season at the moment.
***
I'm curious to know what some of you may think of this photo:

Yes that's Cleveland Caveliers All-Star LeBron James holding up a New York Yankees ball cap while attendint the Indians-Yankees game in Cleveland on Thursday. James is from Akron, Ohio and plays Basketball at Gund Arena which is (litteraly) just feet away from Jacobs Field where the Indians play.

Now, what does this mean? Well, it means that he's a fan of the New York Yankees, what else would it mean? I honestly don't think that he said "Things are going to good for me in Cleveland. I KNOW! I'm going to wear a cap of the Yankees to piss everyone off!" Really? Do any of you really think he did that to piss everyone off?

GIVE IT A REST (ESPN)! GET OVER IT! IT'S JUST A HAT!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just another sign of how corporate the NBA and its stars are. I think it's pretty pathetic, and if I had tickets to the Cavs games, I would show up and wear a Knicks or Nets jersey or something.

SethSpeaks.net