February 4, 2010

Orlando Hudson signs with the Twins

Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune has reported that Orlando Hudson has officially signed with the Twins. The deal is a 1-year $5 million deal and as Jon Heyman reported, bonuses are also involved (Ken Rosenthal said that no incentives are involved, but we'll find out eventually). Rosenthal also reported that the Twins agreed to not offer Hudson arbitration if he is a Type-A free agent. To express how I feel, I felt that this video is appropriate...



But in all seriousness, this is a great deal for the Twins and I completely agree with La Velle E. Neal III in that this is one of the best rosters that the Twins have had going into Spring Training. Phil Mackey sums up how I feel a lot, so instead of essentially writing exactly what he said, I encourage everyone to read his thoughts.

I will add a couple things though. If healthy, this lineup may be one of the best in all of baseball:
  1. Denard Span - CF
  2. Orlando Hudson -2B
  3. Joe Mauer - C
  4. Justin Morneau - 1B
  5. Michael Cuddyer - RF
  6. Jason Kubel - DH
  7. J.J. Hardy - SS
  8. Delmon Young - LF
  9. Nick Punto - 3B
And also, if I had to make a prediction, Alexi Casilla will be taken off of the 40 man roster. I know that most Twins fan (including myself) would rather see Matt Tolbert (who still has options) taken off, but I just don't see Casilla in Minnesota when he only plays 2B/SS.

It's a great day to be a Twins fan!

And for those who may be wondering, I've decided to post two picks tomorrow for the Top 50 Prospects list. This signing is big news.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know Josh do we want these Rumors to be True

I do if its about 5.0M or less

if its 7.0M + I honestly don't

That would put or payroll over 98M
and Joe Mauer contracts seemingly farther away from happening
if its for 5.0 M with incentives that can earn if either 5.5 or 6.0M I'd be all for it I think!!!

Span
Hudson
Mauer
Morneau
Cuddy/ Kubs
Kubs/Cuddy
Young
Hardy
Harris

Punto and Thome as the 10th and 11th men YES!!

It would sure be awesome though

Josh Johnson said...

The Twins signing Hudson has no effect on whether or not Mauer will re-sign. Any Mauer deal wouldn't begin until 2011. That's why the Twins are hesitant to sign any free agents to multiyear deals. 2010 isn't the problem, it's 2011 and beyond.